Why Turkey should NOT join the EU

Argument 1: Turkey does not belong in Europe

Only 3% of Turkey’s landmass is calculated to be in Europe. The other 97% is geographically, historically and culturally outside the European continent. The identity of Europe, which has evolved over thousands of years, is based on the heritage of antiquity, Christian and Jewish traditions, humanism and the Enlightenment. On the other hand, Turkey has historically been dominated by the old Turkish nomadic culture of Central Asia, the Ottoman Empire and Islam. Turkey’s EU membership would change the character of Europe and thus destroy the ideological basis for political dialogue. The Islamic collectivism is incompatible with the liberal societies of European countries that provide the individual with his freedom. This fundamental contrast would make it difficult to reach consensus within the European Union after the accession of Turkey.

Subscribe to RSS - Turkey



Contact Details

Brussels Head Office: 
Rue Pascale 16, 1040 Brussels,
Tel. +32 2 830 7141 

Registered Office:
2A, 'Delmar', Flat 1,
Brared Street,
Birkirkara, MALTA